Chelsea Newnam

Chelsea Newnam is a junior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at the University of Mary Washington. She believes in the power of poetry to change the world (a romantic idea maybe) and likes to think that maybe one day she’ll find a job that will pay her to encourage that belief in others. She has worked with several literary magazines and enjoys reading and writing (like any good English major) as well as traveling and antiquing as often as she can.

“Hopper’s Nighthawks, 1942″ is a poem that grew out of my love and admiration for Edward Hopper’s painting, “Nighthawks”, which I was fortunate enough to see firsthand in the National Gallery in D.C.  I thought it would be interesting to write a poem about the (possible) events and relationships of the painting, as the mystery behind those events and relationships has always interested me.  The use of the sestina as dominating form was my shot at a sort of ironic approach to the idea of art as containment, which is interesting to me as art is usually seen as the opposite of that.

One Response to “Chelsea Newnam”

1. […] « Madison Brennaman Chelsea Newnam […]