Timothy Schulz

Schulz writes:

“‘Monolith and Remnant’ is based on my reflection of a ceramic art piece titled ‘Coetaneous Stasis’ by Matthew McConnell of the University of Colorado at Boulder.  I reflected upon this piece as it was presented in the gallery ‘NCECA: Regional Student Juried Exhibition from the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts’ at the Tempe Center for the Arts in Tempe AZ.  The bit of information provided on Matthew McConnell and his visions or interests of art could possibly be summed up as themes based on the impacts humankind has on its environment.  He seemed interested in how the Earth’s ecosystems adapt or cope with what humans are doing.  I tried to direct “Monolith and Remnant” toward a similar theme to respect the original inspirational art piece.  Undoubtedly, the difference between the genres still exists.  The ceramic piece was highly crucial to my inspiration, but the play with words through homophones allowed me to present my own tone on the theme and encrypt some of it through the abstraction of poetry.

Schulz on “Immersed”:

“This poem is based on the reflection of an old photography portrait once exhibited at ASU’s Northlight Gallery. The aged method of photography left a certain aura about the woman’s face and the picture as a whole. This literal ‘presence’ is what allowed me to cross the medium of photography with my poetry. Not only was the portrait received with an artistic reflection, in which I searched for a meaning in a photography sense, but also with the abstract reflection allowed by poetry. Both receptions of the work could not have taken place without that initial portrait, but at the same time, both receptions were independent. The poem created by my poetically abstract view stands alone, but because it was created from that melding of genres it could quite possibly inspire other mediums of interpretation through other genres of art.”

Artist statement:

Schulz writes:

“My work often includes sharp, almost violent sounding words. These acute sounds are then often paired with alliteration to accent their stress. Metaphor and allegory also have great appeal to me. These techniques are present in both my poetry and prose to which I aspire. The abstractions allowed through poetry clarify fiction as my forte, and I am currently studying at ASU toward a B.A. in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Themes chosen for my works often vary but tend to follow darker, sometimes pessimistic views, but the objective presented through The Ledger Line allowed me to step a bit away from my own view by reflecting on another medium of art. However, my own views will always be present to some extent within whatever work I create.”

Artist’s Work

3 Responses to “Timothy Schulz”

1. bill schulz says:

i ca not access the writer’s work.